Simcoe was Named for John Graves Simcoe in 1795, the first Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. Originally two separate hamlets, the current downtown started as Birdtown, named by William Bird, who settled in the early 1800s. The north end of town, currently known as “the Queensway”, was originally called Theresaville (in honour of Robert Nichol’s wife), as it grew around Aaron Culver’s saw and grist mill in the 1820s. When the post office was established in 1829, Culver’s suggestion of Simcoe was approved.
In a large bowl, cut butter and cream cheese into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Blend mixture together until smooth dough forms, about 3 minutes. Pat into a rectangle; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. For filling, combine the walnuts, sugar, milk and vanilla. Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 17-1/2x10-in. rectangle; cut into 2-1/2-in. squares. Place a level teaspoonful of filling in the center of each square. Moisten edges with water; fold in half and seal with a fork. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar